Position Title: Library Director
Reports to: The President of the Board of Trustees
Classification: Salaried, with benefits as defined by the Board
The Library Director oversees and directs all activities and services of Friend Memorial Library. The responsibilities of this position are wide ranging, and the director will utilize all the varied skills of a professional librarian.
- Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates library staff, including encouraging them to develop skills useful to FML
- Welcomes people of all ages to the library and helps them meet their informational and recreational needs. Sometimes the Library Director is the only staff member present and will work at the circulation desk
- Selects, acquires, and maintains all materials in the library collection, based on the interests and needs of library users
- Develops and maintains all library resources and facilitates their use by patrons
- Catalogs new library materials
- Provides reference and readers’ advisory services
- Develops and supervises library programs
- Provides text and images for website updates to website volunteer
- Orders all supplies required for library operation
- Attends meetings of the Library Board of Trustees as a non-voting member and makes regular reports to the Board
- Formulates and recommends policies to the Board of Trustees and implements those policies as applicable
- Prepares and presents annual budget to the Board of Trustees
- Meets annually with library’s investment advisor
- Carries out all library operational bookkeeping
- Maintains appropriate library records, both for local evaluation and as required by Maine State Library, etc.
- Oversees the maintenance and repair of the library building and grounds
- Supervises volunteers working in the Library
- Writes grants as needed for library projects
- Works outside the library with local individuals, groups, and media to represent resources available through the library
- Works cooperatively with colleagues in other libraries to improve services to local library users
- Continues to improve knowledge of library resources and services by attending meetings, reading, and consulting appropriate resources
- Interpersonal skills to create a pleasant and welcoming library environment.
- Effective communication in person and in writing and with the wide variety of people in the community.
- Effective organization of a varied and changing program of resources and activities, and effective management of personal time.
- Continuing, developing knowledge of books and other resources, to be used in assisting readers.
- Expanding knowledge of library resources, and the ability to evaluate them as resources for this community.
- General computing skills including word processing, database creation, QuickBooks accounting, and familiarity with integrated library systems (library automation systems)
- Ability to catalog library materials in accordance with ALA Cataloging Rules.
- Familiarity with library reference procedures.
- Familiarity with the readers’ advisory process.
- Familiarity with interlibrary loan procedures.
- Grant writing experience.
- Ability to lift up to 25-pound boxes, reach up to high shelves and down to low shelves
Education and Experience:
- ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS, 3-5 years expanding public service in a library
- Successful work experience within a small community and/or rural area.
Job will begin January 1, 2020
32 hours per week to include Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and occasional evenings.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary: Range is from $24- $28 per hour dependent upon experience and education.
Retirement and Health Insurance Stipends: In lieu of any health insurance or retirement benefits, a taxable stipend will be offered in an amount negotiated with the Board as part of the Director's employment agreement.
Vacation time based on years of service
1 -3 years two weeks
3- 5 years three weeks
5 and up four weeks
Sick Leave 7 days per year, may accumulate to 15 days
This job listing is open starting September 9, 2019 and will remain open until an acceptable candidate has been selected. Applicants will be notified of the decision made on their application either by mail or by phone. Please submit a resume, cover letter and three professional references including phone numbers to:Brooke Dojny
Friend Memorial Library
P.O. Box 57
Brooklin, ME 04616